Thursday, September 18, 2008

Good Bye, Ty-Dye!

I've been meaning to post all week, but I am just now getting around to it.  Why??? Because all 3 of my kids have been sick with the stomach virus!!!   Doesn't that stink?   Today, they finally all went back to school.  I can bleach the barf buckets and put them away until next time.  (Oh yes, there's always a next time.)


So, I need to let you know that we've had a dear pet pass away this week.  Ty-Dye the gekko. He lived a long and happy life.....3 years.   I thought that was pretty good, until Veruka told me that most gekkos live 30 years!   (I guess Ty-Dye was 27 when we bought him.  :)


That's right, I said bought him.  No, he wasn't free.  We actually paid money.....for a gekko!  (I know, I couldn't believe it either!)  It all started when Charlie was turning 9.  He had been asking for a pet.  Veruka had gotten a kitten for her 9th Bday.....that's another story for another day.  At the time we were trying to avoid the whole dog thing....of course we eventually caved on that front.  But at the time, this was before Dakota  aka...before dog.


Anyway, we were at the mall & the kids wanted to go in the pet store.  While we were there the boys had to look at the reptiles.  I mean...snakes and lizards are required viewing for all boys, aren't they??  Veruka and I were ooohing and ahhhing over the adorable puppies when Charlie ran up and asked if he could pleeeeease get a gekko for a pet. 


I thought it sounded like a great idea....I mean a gekko...that had to be low maintenance right? He drug me to the back of the store to show me the cool gekkos that he liked.  They were neat alright, but I couldn't pull my eyes away from the price tag.......EIGHTY DOLLARS!!!!  I am not making that up!!!!  

8 - 0....Eighty!!!


I quickly recovered and told Charlie we'd need to see if we could find one that cost a little less.I was hoping he'd forget after a couple of days.  No such luck.  He wouldn't let the gekko idea go. After all, I had said yes, he could get one.  He decided he wanted it for his birthday.   He asked for $ and supplies.  My sis gave him her old fish tank, along with a thermometer and money to put towards the gekko.  I was able to find a cheaper gekko.....only 50 dollars....(can you believe it??) ....at PetSmart.


The day finally arrived, and I took him to PetSmart where we spent $50 for a carpet, water bowl, fake cave and driftwood.  Then of course there was the $50 for the gekko which Charlie named Ty-Dye.  Now that is a cool name for a gekko isn't it???  He looked like he was ty-dyed....thus the name.


Well, as we were getting ready to head to the check out, I mentioned to the overly helpful PetSmart girl, that we almost forgot to get food.  I turned and asked her,


"What do gekkos eat???"


"Crickets", she replied.


"What????  I thought I heard you say crickets???" was my reply.


"That's right!!" she said, "and don't worry, we sell them here."


"What????"


"Can't the gekko just eat cricket flavored food?"  I asked exasperated.


Apparently, not.  The girl helpfully showed me where I could get a small cage for the crickets....and food for the crickets.  That's right, food for the food of the gekko!!!!  Sheesh!


So, every two weeks for the past 3 years I've driven my butt 20 minutes to the nearest PetSmart to pick up live crickets.  Oh, how I'll miss that duty.


Ty-Dye was buried earlier in the week with a full funeral.  When we realized he had passed away, I asked Charlie if he wanted Ty-Dye to have a burial at sea or a burial in the earth.  He and Mike TV just stared at me wide eyed and silent. 

 

Then finally, Charlie asked, "Does burial at sea mean flushed down the toilet?"


He chose burial in the earth.


So, Ty-Dye was placed in the finest of caskets.....an Ann Taylor jewelry box.  He was draped in a flag...one of the mini flags on a stick...for the procession....and he was laid to rest under our Japanese Maple tree.  At the end of the funeral, Brian played taps on Charlie's trumpet.  Good ol Ty-Dye, may he rest in peace.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose a pet. My condolences...

But the cricket thing... ew. I used to work with a lady who had lizards and she had crickets delivered to work. I HATED those days when they came....

Brian and Staci said...

Oh, rest in peace little Ty-Dye. So sorry, that is truly hard. We had a fish (for cryin' out loud) that we had to do the same for...only instead of the Ann Taylor jewelry box...we chose a heart-shaped Brighton to bury our Flipper in. Needless to say, since we already had the bowl and food...we were right back at Petco for another Beta...named Dipper! We are genius with names huh? Beta fish are great low maintenance...they don't eat crickets! You are a good mommy :) Our gekko would've just had to die :)

Shannon said...

I hope everyone is not too upset. The funeral sounded lovely. :)

I could not have done the cricket thing...

taratoons said...

Awww! It is so hard losing a pet. I really liked your story though. And bless your heart for getting crickets. I don't know if I could do it!!

taratoons said...

Oh... and I'm glad to hear your kiddos are feeling better!!

duchess said...

So sorry to hear about your loss.
It must be national pet pass away week because we've lost one as well. Tiki the hamster passed in his sleep. #1 son was very upset over it (not really).

I've kept some of those lizard things for a friend once & feeding those little critters was the pits. My kids were chasing crickets all over the place.

Mikki said...

On condolences on your loss.
If you ever need another lizard.. we have tons of them here..

Lula! said...

Oh...so sorry about Ty-Dye. (Best pet name I've ever heard, by the way!) But the funeral...well, that was just awesome.

You're on Eclipse? Awesome! Let me know when you finish Breaking Dawn. And, while reading, keep this in the back of your mind: Lula had to wait 11 whole months between Eclipse & Breaking Dawn...11 whole months to learn the fates of my beloved Bella & Edward. And then rejoice that you don't have to wait one bit! Ha-ha!

Lauren W said...

I never knew Ty-Dye... but I'm sure he was a wonderful gekko.
He will be missed.

Jennie said...

I almost spit out the food I was eating when I read that Brian played taps on Charlie's trumpet. How did he do that with a straight face? I also liked the delicate wording of "burial at sea."

Seriously, tell the boys that I'm sorry for their loss. I told Chad that he will have to take off work the day one of the cats die. He'll be celebrating of course.

Skeller said...

Awww, I bet your son is missing his gecko-buddy. So sorry.

On a lighter note ... I'll totally be thinking of you next week as I make my way to PetSmart to buy ... crickets. ugh.

Thanks for visiting thru BATW :-)
Susan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by New Zealand on the BATW tour. Great to have you at Domestic Executive HQ.

Have been cruising your blog and you have a beautiful family. Loved the story about the crickets but so sorry to hear the reason why you won't be making that trip any more.

Nik said...

Oh no!!! Poor Ty-Dye ;/ I agree you did give him an excellent funeral though...very respectful in the pet world I'd say.

As for the crickets - LOL I never knew you had to feed them either. Too funny.

It's hard losing a pet - I hope the sting from losing Ty-Dye eases for the family soon.

Elena said...

Thanks for visiting Idaho the other day. What a cute blog you've got and a darling story. Ty-Dye may he rest in peace. You sound very much like our family. We just had to give "Rockstar" our fish a burial at sea.

Anonymous said...

seems as if funerals doe pets has veeb passed to thenesxt generarion. when a pet dies in iur home in Kat's best fiends home. we had a funeral (mostky for goldfish, Our home bacjs onro 85 acres of wooded parkland so the funeral participants marched out of our backyard, with in an old box for matches in which rested the fish.
Then the kids would make crosses out of popsicle sticks and place them on the graves. Now Kat is the parent and my grabkids are the mourners repeatig the process. Neat!

Kathi's Dad

Anonymous said...

REvision of the prior post.



Seems as if funerals for pets has been passed to the next generation. When a pet died in our home or in Kat's best fiends' home. we had a funeral, mostly for goldfish. Our home backs onto 85 acres of wooded parkland. So the funeral participants marched out of our backyard thru old box for matches in which rested the fish. Then the graves were dug, the deceased in the matchbox placed in the grave, and then groud thrown onto the grave.
Then the kids would make crosses out of popsicle sticks and place them on the graves. Now Kat is the parent and my grankids are the mourners repeating the process. It's great to see some traditions carried on.
Neat!
Kathi's Dad

Totallyscrappy said...

May he rest in gekko peace.

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

I'm sorry about your gecko. A few years ago I was thinking of getting one. I thought they looked cute. ;) Never thought about buying crickets then food for the crickets...lol You get the best mom award for that! :)

Melissa B. said...

One of our cats is sick, and my daughter left for college knowing that she might not see her kitty again. The good news, though, is that the cat has been eating and purring up a storm--maybe signs that she turned the corner? I sure hope so! Losing a pet is difficult for everyone in the family. BTW, on a completely different subject, we're Sharing the Caption Love over at my place today. Yup, it's time for the Silly Sunday Sweepstakes--come play along!